Dr. Timothy Zimmer has always wanted to fix whatís broken. Itís no wonder, then, that choosing a specialty was easy for him as a young medical student. His affinity for problem solving is a perfect fit with the specialty of orthopedic surgery.
After earning his M.D. from the University of Cincinnati, Dr. Zimmer received five years of intensive training in orthopedic surgery at the esteemed Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. An offer to work with a large orthopedic practice brought him to Richmond, Virginia, in 1988. By nature, large practices can have an impersonal atmosphere and ďbus stationĒ mentality. Because Dr. Zimmer wanted to offer his patients a more personal experience, he founded Commonwealth Orthopedic Specialist in 1999.
This solo practice draws a local, regional and national pool of patients aware of Dr. Zimmerís outstanding reputation. Given his experience and widely respected skills treating foot and ankle disorders, he is regularly referred patients with complicated cases requiring complex
reconstructive surgeries. He is also often referred patients who have had less-than-satisfactory results with prior care.
Arthroscopic surgery is a special interest of Dr. Zimmerís. During his career, he has trained other orthopedic surgeons in arthroscopic and general surgeries of the foot and ankle.
Dr. Zimmer has two children and is a proud Grandfather. He enjoys golf and tennis whenever his
busy schedule permits.
- Board certified and re-certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Graduate of residency program at the Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Rochester, MN
- Member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Member of the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
- Member of the Virginia Orthopaedic Society
- Member of the Richmond Academy of Medicine
- Graduate of the University of Cincinnati (B.S., Summa Cum Laude)
- Graduate of the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine (M.D.)